To help mark November as American Diabetes Month, Sharecare.com, the health and wellness site founded by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Jeff Arnold, recently announced its Top 10 Social HealthMakers on Diabetes, a list of the experts and advocates leading online conversations about diabetes:
1. Manny Hernandez, Ask Manny: Living with Type 1 diabetes, Hernandez founded the diabetes forums TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes, hosts the AskManny blog and serves as president of Diabetes Hands Foundation.
2. Kelly L. Close, diaTribe: A longtime diabetes advocate and sufferer of the disease for nearly 25 years, Close is editor-in-chief of the online diabetes newsletter diatribe and president of the diabetes and obesity healthcare information firm Close Concerns, Inc.
3. Mike Hoskins, Diabetes Mine: Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 5, Hoskins is managing editor of Diabetes Mine, a website for diabetes patients, and serves as a patient advocate in the diabetes community.
4. Amy Tenderich, Diabetes Mine: Founder and editor-in-chief of leading diabetes site Diabetes Mine, Tenderich sits on the Journal of Participatory Medicine editorial board and is co-author of Know Your Numbers, Outlive Your Diabetes.
5. Kerri Sparling, Six Until Me: Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1986, Sparling started Six Until Me to chronicle and share her experience of living with diabetes.
6. David Edelman, Diabetes Daily: Edelman is co-founder and president of the online support and education platform Diabetes Daily that features a diabetes magazine, community forums and an original recipe collection.
7. Riva Greenberg, The Huffington Post: Greenberg, who has lived with Type 1 diabetes for 41 years, has written three books on managing the disease, blogs for The Huffington Post Healthy Living and created DiabetesStories.com.
8. Kelly Kunik, Diabetesaliciousness: Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 8, Kunik founded the blog Diabetesaliciousness with the mission of inspiring diabetes validation through humor, ownership and advocacy.
9. Leighann Calentine, D-Mom Blog: Author of Kids First, Diabetes Second and co-founder and principle author of D-Mom Blog, Calentine writes about parenting children who have Type 1 diabetes, including sharing her personal experiences with her daughter.
10. Diane Kress, R.D., CDE, Diane Kress Blog: Kress, who lives with Type 2 diabetes, is a registered dietitian, certified diabetes educator and New York Times bestselling author of The Metabolism Miracle and The Diabetes Miracle.