tbo: Tampa Bay Online.
Sunday, Sep 23, 2018
  • Home

Florida education news: School safety, financial literacy, budgets and more

SCHOOL SAFETY: After hours of passionate debate, the Florida House signs off on a plan to enhance security in the state's schools. The proposal, now headed to Gov. Rick Scott, addresses mental health services, some gun restrictions and controversial guidelines to allow schools to have some employees carry weapons. • Lawmakers stressed that districts do not have to activate the "guardian" model, and many school leaders signaled they have no plans to do so, regardless of any law.More from the Florida Times-Union. • Could the initiative have unintended consequences? State data show that some school employees in the past have records of threatening colleagues, hurting kids or using weapons improperly.  • Amid all the action, U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos visited Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

BUDGETS: Stalled during the gun debate, legislative spending plans found a tentative agreement between House and Senate leaders in the waning hours of Wednesday. Details should emerge today, with session expected to be extended a day to allow the required cooling off period. More from the Herald-Tribune.

TRY, TRY AGAIN: A bill to require Florida high school students take a half-credit course in financial literacy again fails to make its way through the Legislature.

CALENDARS: The Hillsborough County School Board decides to give students off for both the Strawberry Festival and State Fair in 2019, instead of just one or the other.

STUDENT BUSING: The Martin County school district creates a plan to transport students living along hazardous walking routes, and leaders say it would be too expensive, TC Palm reports.

STUDENT VOICES: A second high school student files to run for Citrus County School Board, the Citrus County Chronicle reports. • Students at Pensacola High organize an in-school assembly on school safety issues to avoid concerns associated with a walkout, the Pensacola News-Journal reports.

UNDER REVIEW: A Collier County school principal facing a second district investigation in four years has been removed from her school, the Naples Daily News reports. • Police are investigating a confrontation between two Manatee County School Board members, the Herald-Tribune reports.

SUPERINTENDENTS: The Palm Beach County School Board picks chief operating officer Donald Fennoy as its next superintendent, the Palm Beach Post reports. • Duval County business leaders complain about their level of input on the district's superintendent search, the Florida Times-Union reports.

CHARTER SCHOOLS: The Duval County School Board extends the contracts of 12 charter schools, including one with D and F grades, the Florida Times-Union reports.

WINDFALL? A potential sale of Jacksonville Electric Authority has Duval County leaders discussing whether the school district could benefit financially, the Florida Times-Union reports.

ENOUGH, ALREADY: A 23rd student from Volusia or Flagler counties is arrested for making a hoax threat of violence against a school, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

TODAY: House session, noon • Senate session, noon

Weather Center
Comments