TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Saturday, Nov 22, 2014
Sports

Twins To Send Santana To Mets

Staff
Published:   |   Updated: June 1, 2013 at 09:05 PM

NEW YORK - Johan Santana is a contract extension and physical from going to the New York Mets.

After months of deliberation, the Twins reached a tentative agreement Tuesday to part with the two-time Cy Young Award winner for outfielder Carlos Gomez, and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey, two people familiar with the deal said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

"If it's true, obviously, you're getting arguably the best pitcher in the game," Mets third baseman David Wright said.

The next step is for the Mets to negotiate a contract extension with Santana, who is eligible for free agency after this season. The three-time All-Star is owed $13.25 million this year and likely will seek an extension of five to seven years worth at least $20 million annually.

New York and Santana have until 5 p.m. Friday to reach an agreement, a baseball official told The Associated Press, also on condition of anonymity. If the Mets and Santana strike a deal, the players would have to pass physicals and the pitcher would have to formally waive his no-trade clause.

The Mets emerged as the top candidate for a trade after the winter meetings, when the New York Yankees withdrew their offer, which included pitchers Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy; and when the Red Sox refused to improve their proposals, which would have sent pitcher Jon Lester or outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury to the Twins along with prospects.

Minnesota general manager Bill Smith called teams last weekend and asked them to make their best offers.

Santana is 93-44 with a 3.22 ERA in eight major-league seasons.

Hall Of Fame Game Going Extinct

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. - There is no joy at Doubleday Field. Major League Baseball has struck out.

Nearly 70 years after the tradition began, the Baseball Hall of Fame Game will end after this year's game between the Chicago Cubs and San Diego Padres on June 16. Officials at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum said that Major League Baseball decided keeping the game was too difficult because of the complexities of the major league schedule and "all its inherent challenges."

Jeff Idelson, vice president of communications and education at the Hall of Fame, said the change was inevitable once all the other exhibition games were stripped from the schedule in 2002.

"It's been a great tradition, but we completely understand the enormous difficulty of scheduling, with interleague play, expansion, and teams entitled to an off-day every 20-plus days," he said. "It's sad that the tradition is ending, but by the same token we're grateful for what they've provided. We feel the museum has a tremendous amount of national programs in place now that weren't in place five or 10 years ago."

The first Hall of Fame Game was played in 1940, and it is the last surviving in-season exhibition game on the schedule.

MEETING POSTPONED: New York Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte's meeting with a congressional committee investigating drug use in baseball was postponed until Monday in Washington.

He originally was slated to appear for a deposition or transcribed interview today.

But the date was changed Tuesday by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. It's the latest in a series of switches to the schedule of witnesses' meetings with staff members before testifying at a Feb. 13 hearing.

Subscribe to The Tampa Tribune

Comments