1. Mark Whipple was hired in the offseason to assume the duties as the offensive coordinator. He's Miami's fourth offensive coordinator in five years.
2. Two backup quarterbacks - Taylor Cook and Cannon Smith - left the program two weeks before the season opener, leaving the Hurricanes with two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster.
3. Miami is still looking for its first ACC Coastal Division title after five seasons in the conference. Prior to the ACC, the Hurricanes won four straight Big East titles.
4. Six returning wide receivers caught touchdowns in 2008, led by LaRon Byrd, who caught four.
5. Tight end Jimmy Graham enters his first season on the team after playing four years on the basketball team. Graham last played football as a freshman in high school.