TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Wednesday, Oct 22, 2014
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bucs’ Smith: No interest in ex-Dolphins OL Incognito

By
Published:   |   Updated: August 12, 2014 at 08:57 AM

One game into the preseason, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are not sure who their starting guards will be. One thing that seems certain, though, is that free agent Richie Incognito will not be one of them.

Incognito was cited in a report for his involvment in a 2013 bullying scandal involving then-Miami Dolphins teammate Jonathan Martin. As a result, Incognito was suspended for the final six games last year and was released by Miami.

Bucs coach Lovie Smith, when asked on Monday if the Bucs would consider bringing Incognito in as a possible guard candidate, strongly suggested Incognito already would be in Tampa if the Bucs had interest.

“All players that are available, we look to see if they would fit in our program,’’ Smith said. “All players. And I will just kind of leave it at that. If we are really interested in someone, we will bring them in.’’

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell recently said Incognito has been “very responsive” in going through an anger management program and could be ready to return sometime soon.

Incognito, 31, told USA Today that “his agent is looking for opportunities” and “we’ve had some nibbles.’’

Martin was traded from the Dolphins to San Francisco during the offseason.

Subscribe to The Tampa Tribune

Comments