The De Soto Charter Oak still stands tall on the former grounds of H.B. Plant’s Tampa Bay Hotel, now the H.B. Plant Museum on the University of Tampa campus. According to state legend, Spanish explorer Hernando De Soto bartered with Native Americans in the shade of the tree shortly after he landed in Florida in the 1500s. In 1929, the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution installed a plaque commemorating De Soto’s time in the Tampa area. Today the tree, which is in Plant Park on the eastern side of the museum, is surrounded by shrubbery and other foliage.
— Elizabeth Behrman