TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather
Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014

Report: Guilford workers hid food stamp backlog

Published:   |   Updated: July 12, 2014 at 07:43 PM

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) An internal investigation says some Guilford County social service workers were told to hide a backlog of 8,000 food stamp cases that threatened to cost North Carolina $88 million in federal money to administer the program.

The News & Record of Greensboro reports (http://bit.ly/1jmUJ2m ) that some Guilford County Department of Social Services workers told investigators they were instructed not to enter information into a computer system earlier this year to hide the backlog from the U.S. Agriculture Department.

A heavily redacted copy of the county report provided to the newspaper said some of the witness statements couldn't be confirmed.

The USDA had threatened the state with losing $88 million unless tens of thousands of people who applied for food stamps got responses before the end of March.

___

Information from: News & Record, http://www.news-record.com

Comments