Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015

Residents OK, dog dies in St. Pete mobile home fire staff
Published:   |   Updated: April 1, 2014 at 01:04 PM

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

An electrical failure is being cited as the cause of a fire at a St. Petersburg mobile home that resulted in the death of a dog Tuesday morning.

Firefighters called at 7:05 a.m. to the Silver Lake Mobile Home Park, 4000 24th St. N., and found a unit fully engulfed by flames. Crews extinguished the fire quickly, St. Petersburg Fire Rescue said.

Arson investigators say the fire started in a bedroom and is not suspicious in nature.

Two residents — Gary Winkleman, 52, and roommate Mark Erdman, 56, were not injured, deputies say.

Investigators say Winkleman noticed the fire in the front bedroom, where he had been working minutes before, and woke up Erdman, who was sleeping in a back bedroom.

Deputies say Erdman grabbed his cat and all exited the unit, but the men were unable to return for the Chihuahua, which died in the fire.

The American Red Cross was offering assistance to the homeowner, officials say.

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Subscribe to The St. Petersburg Tribune