TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Thursday, Mar 26, 2015
Pasco Tribune

New Port Richey stove fire kills pet, damages home

TBO.com Staff
Published:   |   Updated: March 23, 2013 at 06:06 PM

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page


A New Port Richey family was temporarily displaced and a family pet was killed shortly after noon today after a fire broke out in their home.

The relatively small fire started on the electric stove but was contained to the kitchen because firefighters quickly knocked it down, said city Fire Chief Alex Onishenko. The back of the stove melted, he said, but the resident didn't recall leaving the stove on before she left for work.

The family's name wasn't immediately available but a neighbor said a woman lives at the home at 6339 Delaware Ave. with her two teenage daughters and pets.

A Yorkshire terrier perished in the fire from smoke inhalation, Onishenko said. Two other dogs were located and safely taken in by neighbors while a third remained at large, he said. The resident told him she had two cats, too, but they hadn't been located by midafternoon.

He estimates the damage, which is nonstructural and mostly from smoke and water, to be between $15,000 and $25,000.

The family will stay with relatives and friends until their home is cleaned up, Onishenko said.

Reporter Lisa A. Davis can be reached at (727) 815-1083.

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Subscribe to The Tampa Tribune