TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Saturday, Aug 23, 2014
Northwest News

Then and now: Mell’s Place at Fletcher and Florida avenues, 1954 and 2013

Published:

Mell’s Place, a restaurant on the northwest corner of Fletcher and Florida avenues in 1954, served sandwiches, “Italian spaghetti,” wine and draft beer, the latter for 15 cents in a frosted mug, according to signs on the building’s south side and another just beyond Mell’s. Advertised offerings also included ale and “cold beer by can or bottle.” Today, the former restaurant site is occupied by a SunTrust Bank and a Sweetbay grocery and liquor store now sits where woods once existed.

— George Wilkens

Comments