TAMPA – If the Jesuit High School athletic program continues to excel, they are going to have to enlarge the Presidential Board Room at the school.
On April 16, nine Jesuit athletes signed letters of intent to move on to the next level, including three football players. With so many players signing, the room was filled with students and parents crowded around the tables, and there were students standing outside the room.
Vincent Testaverde (Texas Tech), Rhett Waldron (Augustana College), and Ryan Black (Augustana) were among the football players from the Tigers that are moving on to play at the college level. The Tigers football team finished 8-4 last season and won the district title. They advanced to the second round of the state playoffs before losing to Lake Wales.
Testaverde quarterbacked for the Tigers last season. Waldron is a kicker and was named first-team All-State in Class 5A and also served as the Jesuit student body class president. Black is a 5-foot-6-inch running back.
* Peyton Elliott will play lacrosse at John Carroll University. The Tigers were ranked No. 12 in the state by MaxPreps as of April 16.
* Joseph Trimm will play golf at Fordham University. He was honored with the Casey Award as Hillsborough County’s top golfer.
* Phillip Robbins (track) and Kasey Radke (baseball) will attend the University of Tampa.
* Nick Bodner will play baseball at Johns Hopkins University.
* Danny Lastra will play baseball at Ave Maria University.