TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather
Wednesday, Jul 23, 2014
Local News

Three dogs, guinea pig rescued from Davis Islands house fire


Published:   |   Updated: May 29, 2014 at 02:47 PM

Firefighters pulled three dogs and a guinea pig from a Davis Islands house fire that was sparked by an unattended pot on a stove Thursday morning, authorities said.

The dogs needed emergency care and received it with the help of a nearby veterinary clinic after its concerned vet technician heard emergency vehicles racing to the fire and offered assistance.

A neighbor called 911 at 8:23 a.m., and emergency workers arrived four minutes later and saw smoke coming from the home on the 600 block of Danube Avenue, Tampa Fire Rescue said.

A neighbor told firefighters about the dogs and where to find them, Tampa Fire Rescue spokesman Jason Penny said in a news release.

No one was home, but rescue workers found two Cairn terriers and a West Highland terrier taking cover under furniture. The dogs were removed from the home and firefighters began administering oxygen using a pet mask.

Firefighters also retrieved a Guinea pig who was alert, unharmed and eating vegetables in its cage, Penny said.

Mandi Tate, a tech at Davis Island Animal Clinic who followed emergency vehicles to the home, offered assistance after identifying herself as a animal health worker. Paramedics contacted the homeowner and received permission for her to help, Penny said.

The paramedics asked Tate if the clinic’s owner, Dr. Steven Lewis, would be willing to accept the dogs for further treatment. The veterinarian agreed by phone, and Tate drove the dogs to the clinic while two paramedics administered oxygen.

All three dogs were stable as of 9:30 a.m., Tampa Fire Rescue said.

There were no injuries reported from the fire.

Comments