Hillsborough County will collect unwanted trash cans and recycling containers before customers are required to use the new carts that have been delivered throughout the county.
The new, large garbage and recycling carts are to be used as part of the new automated collection that starts the week of Sept. 30.
Resident have several options to dispose of their unwanted containers:
* Place them at the curb with a note directing the collection crew to take them the week of Sept. 23.
* After the new collection starts, place the unwanted cans inside the new, gray carts for pickup. Reminder: Anything you want the crew to take must be inside the new cart.
* People can take the unwanted cans to one of the four Community Collection Centers. They are open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday and are located at:
* Alderman Ford, 9402 State Road 39, Lithia, (813) 757-3820.
* Hillsborough Heights, 6209 County Road 579, Seffner, (813) 744-5533.
* Northwest County, 8001 W. Linebaugh Ave., Tampa, (813) 264-3816.
* South County, 13000 U.S. 41, Gibsonton, (813) 671-7611.
The county reminds residents that the old trash cans can still be used for yard waste collection or storage on their property.
For more information on the new service, go to www.HillsboroughCounty.org/TalkTrash, or call the county Public Utilities Department at (813) 272-5680.