TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Monday, Dec 22, 2014
Local News

Pet gerbil rescued from Tampa house fire

TBO.com Tribune staff
Published:   |   Updated: March 13, 2013 at 09:53 AM

View allPage 1 of 2

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Tampa Fire Rescue crews rescued a pet gerbil from a house fire this afternoon.

The fire at 401 Janette Ave. E. was reported at 2:30 p.m. Crews quickly contained and extinguished the fire, which was in the kitchen. No people were inside, but a gerbil named Sniffles was rescued by a firefighter and given to the family.

Sniffles is doing well, fire officials said.

This fire began when a teenage boy was cooking chicken and fries and the grease caught fire on the stove. The kitchen quickly filled with smoke, setting off the smoke detectors, and he could not extinguish the fire, fire officials said.

The teen was the only one home at the time and ran to a neighbor's house to call 911. The family of four will be staying with family tonight, officials said.

No injuries were reported.

View allPage 1 of 2

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Subscribe to The Tampa Tribune

Comments