TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Saturday, Aug 30, 2014
Local News

No charges in fatal Brandon shooting

By
Published:   |   Updated: March 18, 2013 at 02:26 PM
TAMPA -

A Brandon man acted in self-defense when he fatally shot a 19-year-old earlier this month, prosecutors said.

Samuel Shuttleworth, 21, will not be charged because of provisions in the state's "stand your ground" law, which allows the use of deadly force to prevent death and serious injury.

"No charges shall be filed against Mr. Shuttleworth as there is insufficient evidence to rebut his claim" that he shot Daniel Oliver, 19, in self-defense, State Attorney Mark Ober wrote in a letter to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, the agency that first investigated the case.

The shooting occurred Sept. 2.

Deputies went to 1409 Scotch Pine Drive, Brandon, after a neighbor called 911 and told them a fight had broken out between Shuttleworth and Oliver, sheriff's spokesman Larry McKinnon said.

Both men were armed and Shuttleworth, 21, was being repeatedly attacked by Oliver before the shooting occurred, investigators said.

Oliver died from a single gunshot to the upper body, McKinnon said.

Both men have criminal records dating back to when they were juveniles, record show.

Shuttleworth was first arrested on a burglary charge when he was 13. Since then, he has been arrested on battery and aggravated assault charges. His most recent arrest was Sept. 21, when deputies arrested him on a charge of a felon in possession of a firearm.

Mark Cox, spokesman for the State Attorney's office, said Shuttleworth's arrest on that charge is not related to Oliver's shooting.

Oliver was first arrested when he was 11, on charges of criminal mischief. Records show he also had arrests for burglary, robbery by sudden snatching and drug possession.

Florida's "stand your ground" law has been in the national spotlight since 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was shot dead in February by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the shooting, claiming self-defense.

The shooting in Sanford sparked mass outrage and the establishment of a task force to review the self-defense law.


rreyes@tampatrib.com (813) 259-7920 Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Subscribe to The Tampa Tribune

Comments