A family was left homeless by a fire Monday night, but its dog was rescued from the home at 3321 N. 22nd St. in Tampa.
About 6:17 p.m., Tampa Fire Rescue crews responded to a structure fire and found a two-story home with flames and heavy smoke on the first floor.
The sole occupant was able to get out, but told firefighters that his dog, Vinny, a poodle, might still be inside. Firefighters entered the front of the home and found the dog in the back of the house.
Crews battled flames that confined them to the first floor. The fire, that caused significant smoke and fire damage to the home was deemed under control in 20 minutes.
Investigators determined that combustible material placed too close to a furnace contributed to the fire.
The Red Cross is helping the family find housing arrangements as the home is uninhabitable.