TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Monday, Dec 22, 2014
Local Breaking News

Firefighters: House fire started by smoking in bed

TBO.com
Published:   |   Updated: May 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM

View allPage 1 of 2

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

TAMPA -

A house fire that caused an estimated $21,000 in damage started with a woman smoking in bed, Tampa Fire Rescue officials said.

Firefighters responded to the house fire this morning at 2309 North 54th St. in Tampa.

One firefighter sustained minor injuries while fighting the blaze, which took about 10 minutes to put out, Fire Rescue said.

Fire Marshal investigators say the accidental fire started when 60-year-old Ruby Smith was smoking in bed. Smith attempted to put the fire out with buckets of water, but called 911 after the flames got out of hand. She escaped the home without injury.

Nobody else was hurt in the fire, firefighters said.

View allPage 1 of 2

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Subscribe to The Tampa Tribune

Comments