AVON PARK The father of a 10-month-old boy who died in July, apparently after having not eating for several days, was arrested Thursday and charged with four counts of child neglect, an arrest affidavit said.
Kyle Lee Marsh Rupert, 22, of Avon Park, was arrested by the Highlands County Sheriff's Office and charged with one count of child neglect with great harm and three counts of child neglect without great harm.
The arrest came two days after deputies arrested Sandra Michelle Jackson, 25, the mother of the four children, on the same charges.
Those arrests came six months after investigators and emergency medical technicians found the baby, Milo Rupert, dead on July 7, 2012. They also found the baby and three siblings lived in a filthy residence infested with cockroaches and garbage, arrest affidavits said.
Neither arrest report stated a cause of death for Milo. However, authorities saw no evidence of blunt force trauma.
The reports noted that authorities were not notified of the situation for several hours after the baby's death. The reports also did not say who called for assistance, but indicated the mother was at work at the time.
At the time of the baby's death, Milo had an "overall emaciated appearance" and it appeared that Milo "had not eaten for several days," the arrest affidavit for Rupert said.
The baby also suffered from having "extensive insect bites resulting in a large segment of Victim 1's (Milo) epidermis (outer) skin layer eaten away during an extended unsupervised period of time," the affidavit said.
Of the four children, Milo is listed as the only child of Rupert, the affidavit said. The three surviving children appeared malnourished, the affidavit said.
"Each victim was found to be poorly clothed, poorly fed, unwashed to the point of suffering from skin disorders and suffering from similar insect bites as Victim 1 (Milo)," the affidavit said.
The affidavit said the investigators found that the residence of the children was in total disarray, the floors were soiled with spoiled food, garbage cans overflowed and that bedding was soiled.