TBO.com: Tampa Bay Online, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather.
Monday, Mar 30, 2015
Local News

4 charged in attack on youth referee

Published:   |   Updated: March 20, 2013 at 08:55 PM

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page


Charges have been filed against three coaches and a 14-year-old boy after a referee was attacked at a youth football game last weekend, Sarasota County Sheriff Tom Knight said Friday.

The coaches were identified as Dexter Austin, 43, of Bradenton; Timothy Howard, 38, of Sarasota; and Antonio Bradley, 28, of North Port. The teenager, a player, was identified as Jamisen Saintvale.

Each is charged with one count of battery on a sports official, a third-degree felony. In addition, Howard was charged with misdemeanor battery after he assaulted a coach from the opposing team who was trying to break up the melee, sheriff's officials said.

Knight's announcement came about two hours after the referee, Jayme Ream, 41, gave a brief statement at his attorney's office in Pinellas Park.

"I have enjoyed being a referee for the past 14 years, and look forward to continuing to do so for many years," Ream said, reading from a prepared statement at the office of attorney Frank DiCosola.

"Unfortunately, I believe this is a situation that involved people that let their emotions overcome them," he said.

According to an arrest affidavit, the attack occurred at 1 p.m. Saturday at Riverview High School in Sarasota, where the Sarasota Gators faced the North Port Huskies. The youth football players were 13, 14 and 15 years old.

Near the end of the first half, the Huskies led by a score of 30 to 6. Ream had called several penalties against the Gators, the affidavit said, and in return, the Gators' coaches verbally abused Ream, eventually throwing water at him. That's when Ream ejected the coaches from the contest and terminated the game within minutes of the first half ending, the affidavit says.

The Gators coaches then became hostile toward Ream, and Ream retreated, but some of the coaches followed him, the affidavit says.

There was a fight between him and Austin, with Austin throwing a water bottle at him, the affidavit says. Ream stood his ground. When Austin came at him again, Ream hit him and Austin fell to his knees, the affidavit says.

Right after that, the other two coaches and the youth football player attacked Ream, the affidavit says.

Others tried stopping the attack, but Austin forced his way back to Ream and raised his left leg, as if to kick Ream in the head, the affidavit says. Instead he kicked him in the left shoulder.

A large crowd formed around Ream and he was pulled to safety. Then Howard approached North Port coach Christopher Smith, tackling him and putting him in a choke hold until he was pulled off him. Ream and Smith were punched and kicked several times. Ream suffered a fractured shoulder.

Though he characterized the incident as one in which some people let their emotions get the better of them, Ream said he hoped families and players not involved in the incident continue to participate in youth sports.

Ream said he was allowing authorities to "decide the proper ramifications."

sthompson@tampatrib.com (727) 815-1074 jpatterson@wfla.com (813) 731-8002

View allPage 1 of 2 | Next page

Page 2 of 2 | View all Previous page

Subscribe to The Tampa Tribune