Tonight’s expected frigid conditions have prompted emergency management officials to open cold weather shelters in Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas counties.
The facilities are for the homeless and those who live in homes without adequate heat.
• Brandon Community Center, 510 E. Sadie St., Brandon. Opens at 6 p.m. and is for homeless individuals and families with children. Phone: (813) 635-8179
• Metropolitan Ministries, 2010 N. Florida Ave., Tampa. This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is for families. After hours phone: (813) 209-1077.
• Salvation Army, 1514 N. Florida Ave., Tampa. This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is only for adults. After hours phone: (813) 221-4440.
• Jackson Springs Recreation Center, 8620 Jackson Springs Road, Town ’N Country. This shelter opens at 6:30 p.m. and is for adults and families. Phone (813) 554-5064
• Wimauma Community Center, 5705 Hillsborough St., Wimauma. This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for adults and families. Phone (813) 635-3500
Residents are reminded to bring pets inside.
• Community Congressional Church, 6533 Circle Drive, New Port Richey, and The Holy Ground Shelter, 8835 Denton Ave., Hudson, will both open at 6 p.m.
• Holy Ground Shelter is open to families, but Congressional Church is not.
Transportation to the cold shelters by Pasco County Transportation, or PCT, will be free. Buses traveling routes 14, 21 and 30 will provide that service.
When passengers board, the must tell the driver they are headed to a cold weather shelter.
Additionally, free cab service is being offered by Windmoor Healthcare to the different cold weather shelters in Pasco County by calling (727) 548-5733.
The United Way in conjunction with Metropolitan Ministries will provide hotel rooms as a cold weather shelter for families with children.
Families with children in need of a shelter Monday and Tuesday nights on the western portion of Pasco County should call Dan Campbell at (727) 385-4170.
Those in need of a shelter in the eastern portion of the county should call (813) 810-8670.
• Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church, 110 S. Ft. Harrison Ave., Clearwater. (727) 442-3677. (No children).
• St. Cecelia Catholic Church, 820 Jasmine Way, Clearwater. (727) 447-3494. (Backup shelter; no children).
• Boys & Girls Club of the Suncoast in Pinellas Park, 7790 61st St. N.. (727) 574-5437. (No children; transportation provided by Boley, Inc.).
• Northwest Presbyterian Church, 6330 54th Ave. N., St. Petersburg. (727) 544-4551. (No children).
• Salvation Army, 1400 4th St. S., St. Petersburg. (727) 822-4954. (No children).
• The Turning Point, 1810 5th Ave. N., St. Petersburg. (727) 823-7811. (No children).
• St. Timothy’s Lutheran Church, 812 E. Tarpon Ave., Tarpon Springs. (No children).
Shelters open about 6 p.m.
Families with children will be placed in motels. Call (727) 424-1355 or (727) 698-1809 to make arrangements.