TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times - breaking news and weather
Friday, Jul 25, 2014
AP Movies

Universal distances itself from 'Compton' casting

Published:   |   Updated: July 18, 2014 at 01:36 AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) Universal Pictures and the filmmakers behind the planned N.W.A. biopic are distancing themselves from an offensive casting announcement for the film.

The company said in a statement late Thursday that "the filmmakers ... did not approve and do not condone the information in this casting notice. We regret and sincerely apologize for being in any way associated with the offensive descriptions it contained."

Sande Alessi Casting posted an open call earlier this week that sought women in four categories. "A girls" were described as "the hottest of the hottest" and could be of any ethnicity. "B girls" were to be "light-skinned," whereas "D girls" were "African-American... Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone."

Gawker.com quoted the casting call in an article Thursday. The casting company has since removed the announcement from its Facebook page.

A woman who answered the phone at Sande Alessi Casting on Thursday declined comment and would not identify herself.

Universal has not said if it is still working with the casting company. The Sande Alessi Casting website shows it is still inviting African-American men and women to audition as extras for "Straight Outta Compton" at an open call later this month.

___

Follow AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen at www.twitter.com/APSandy .

Comments