It was time to close the book on Robert W. Saunders Sr. Public Library today, but only for now.
The library,1505 N. Nebraska in Tampa, closed in preparation for demolition.
A new library will be built in its place and is expected to open in January 2015.
According to the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative website, the library originally opened at 1729 East Broadway, a storefront facility donated by the local Italian American Club, in 1933 and was named the Ybor City Branch Library even though it sat one block outside of Ybor City boundaries.
The building on Nebraska Avenue was dedicated in January 1969. On Nov. 5, 2003, the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners voted to rename the library for Robert W. Saunders Sr., a civil rights activist and former NAACP field director.